My name is Dr Richard Holmes and I live in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.
I am a professional research manager and experienced academic researcher with over 16-years post-doctoral expertise in a wide range of academic research, teaching and management themes.
I currently work at the University of Bradford as a Research Development Manager and have worked as a Business Development Manager in Particle Physics at the University of Sheffield, a Lecturer in Chemical Engineering at the University of Manchester and a Research Fellow in Point-of-care medical devices at the University of Ulster.
Prior to this, I worked as a research scientist at the University of Manchester, in the Schools of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science and Electrical Engineering and Electronics, where I worked on microfluidic polymer devices for chemical analysis, and optical waveguide sensors.
I completed a PhD in Instrumentation and Analytical Science from UMIST in 2001 and B.Sc and M.Sc degrees in Analytical Chemistry form Staffordshire University in 1996 & 1997.
Outside of work,
- I'm a fencer and fence Sabre and Epee,
- I love Rock and Heavy Metal - especially Iron Maiden,
- I love Sci-Fi and Sci-Fi movies / TV Series - esp the New Battlestar Galactica,
- I spend a great deal of time using an Apple Macintosh for work and pleasure,
- I spend time with my cat, Spock and my better half - also known as the Boss.